The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Mormon Temples

Indianapolis Indiana

Indianapolis Indiana Temple

The Indianapolis Indiana Temple rises amid the serene surroundings of Carmel, an Indianapolis suburb. The first temple in the Hoosier State and the 148th temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Indianapolis Indiana Temple serves 30,000 Latter-day Saints in Indiana and eastern Illinois.

The temple’s exterior architecture includes a pattern of vertical lines that draw the eyes heavenward. The temple’s beautiful spire is inlaid on each side with three panels of art glass, creating a striking tower of light at night. Standing atop the spire at 106 feet from the ground is an 8.5-foot, 900-pound gold-leafed statue of the angel Moroni.

Throughout the temple grounds, flowers, shrubbery and trees cause visitors to ponder the beauty of God’s creation. A domed fountain stands before the front doors, which are flanked by columns. Above the columns are the words “Holiness to the Lord, the House of the Lord,” reminding patrons of the sanctity of the building they are to enter. The temple grounds also include a Church meetinghouse.

Latter-day Saint history in Indiana dates back to 1831, when missionaries came to Indiana to share the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. They organized congregations that met in homes until the first hall was rented in 1913. In 1927, the state’s first Mormon meetinghouse was built and dedicated by Church President Heber J. Grant. Church membership has continued to grow, and on October 2, 2010, Church President Thomas S. Monson announced the Indianapolis Indiana Temple along with additional temples to be built in Lisbon, Portugal; Tijuana, Mexico; Hartford, Connecticut; and Urdaneta, Philippines.

A groundbreaking ceremony was held on September 29, 2012, at the temple site, located on the southwest corner of the intersection of W 116th and Spring Mill Road. Church leaders Donald L. Hallstrom and Gregory A. Schwitzer, as well as many local Church and community leaders, participated in the ceremony. Elder Hallstrom spoke of the focus the temple gives: “The holy temple helps us to know, in our lives, what to embrace and what to discard.”1

The next construction milestone came October 17, 2014, when the statue of the angel Moroni was lifted into place, creating a striking addition to the Carmel skyline.

After the temple’s completion, an open house was held Friday, July 17, through Saturday, August 8, 2015, during which more than 90,000 visitors of different faiths toured the temple. On Saturday, August 22, youth from across Indiana showcased the area’s storied history through song and dance in a cultural celebration titled “Gather to the Light: Crossroads of America,” held at the Michael A. Carroll Stadium in Indianapolis. Before the performance, President Henry B. Eyring of the First Presidency addressed the youth: “You have stretched higher and farther than you thought you could,” he said. “Let’s fill this stadium with joy, with love and with light.”2 On Sunday, August 23, the Indianapolis Indiana Temple was dedicated in three sessions by President Eyring. In the dedicatory prayer, President Eyring asked that the temple “be a place of peace, of order, and of love, where hearts are turned heavenward, whatever tumult may be in the world around it.”3

 

“Groundbreaking for Indiana’s First Mormon Temple,” Mormon Newsroom, Sept. 29, 2012, http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/groundbreaking-for-indiana’s-first-mormon-temple.

In Sarah Jane Weaver, “President Eyring Dedicates First Temple in the Hoosier State,” Deseret News, Aug. 23, 2015, http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865635180/President-Eyring-dedicates-first-temple-in-the-Hoosier-State.html.

Indianapolis Indiana Temple dedicatory prayer, in Church News, Sept. 3, 2015, https://www.lds.org/church/news/dedicatory-prayer-for-the-indianapolis-indiana-temple.

Facebook Twitter Google+